Monday, July 10, 2006

Liner Notes

Back when music used to come on large vinyl discs called record albums -- kids, ask your grandparents about those (and phones with long curly cords that plug into the wall) -- I enjoyed reading the sleeve inside the album cover. Not all of that material always survived the transition to cassettes (kids, ask your parents about those), but I'm happy to say that the tradition has revived pretty handsomely for the most part with the advent of CDs.

In addition to the photos of the band, and the complete lyrics of the songs, there are often a few paragraphs written by the musicians. Sometimes there are some insights as to the origins of some of the songs, but almost inevitably it's mostly thank yous (and I have written previously about that phenomenon!).

Tucked in amongst thanks to the producer, the family, and so on, are often acknowledgements of the backing musicians or guest artists on the album. And for some reason -- probably the human tendency/mania to create insiders & outsiders -- these often seem to be inside jokes, nicknames, and obscure references that will only be understood by those in the studio that day ("To Punky -- thanks for helping me make bail!").

Today it's my turn for my own Liner Notes. I have been much less active on the blog in recent weeks, and one of the principal reasons for that has been the preparations for my wife's 40th birthday party, which we held yesterday. By the way, I can say "40" with impunity -- she is facing it cheerfully, since as she says her frequent presiding at funerals has left her all too aware of the alternative.

The event was, as far as we could tell at least, a raging success, and for that we owe a debt of thanks to a lot of people. Our credit card debt is paid automatically each month by transfer from our bank account, but I don't want to let my thanks become automated (though skeptics will note that I'm still managing to get the computer involved).

So although I strive mightily to make this blog connection-neutral -- that is, my objective is to be just as interesting (or boring) to the random passer-by as I am to those who know me -- today is directed at those involved with the party. I have reason to believe several of them stop by this space from time to time! So, thanks:
  • to Bill & Laurie, who came up with a few things I needed at the last minute
  • to Faith, who carried tables and chairs back and forth, and helped set up
  • to Bob, who helped me set up the PowerPoint show, and then (quite characteristically) gave up his spot so more people could crowd in to see it
  • to Randy & Connie, who stayed after to help clean up the carnage
  • to Phred & Natalie and Gary & Jolly, who made a 200-mile round trip for a 3-hour party
  • to over 50 of our friends, both longstanding and recent (I make it a policy never to refer to "old" friends), who came and brought food and laughed and talked, and honored us by their presence
  • to God, who in the midst of a spell of oppressive weather and frequent storms gave us a beautiful day -- more a necessity than a pleasure when you give a party for 50+ people at a 1000-sq ft camp!
One of the guests remarked to me at one point what a nice party it was -- although objectively it wasn't that much, just some tables and chairs on the lawn, some snacks to share, and the kids playing games -- and I replied that it was easy: if good people come, you've got a good party. Maybe that's why Mary Richards always gave such lousy parties; who wants to hang out with Ted and Sue Ann? For some reason it reminded me of an underrated Jackson Browne song, "The Load-Out":

Tonight the people were so fine
They waited there in line
And when they got up on their feet
They made the show

I hasten to say we didn't make anyone wait in line, and there were adequate chairs so no one had to be on their feet... but it was the people who made the show, and we say thanks to all. Let's see... only 6 more years till Mark turns 50; write that in your calendars now!

No comments:

Post a Comment