Tuesday, July 23, 2013

As I Was Saying...

One of Newton's Laws of Motion states that a body at rest tends to stay at rest (if I were a real writer, I'd look up which Law, but since this is a blog, I'm obligated only to link to it).  This Law is perhaps most clearly illustrated at nap time, but it also describes what's been going on with the blog of late.

I won't deny that my production had been winding down really for a period of multiple years, for several reasons, but the pothole that seemed to drop the transmission out was my surgery in October.  The irony, of course, was that I had nothing but time, suddenly... but typing was laborious (and handwriting all but impossible).

Looking back over the past 9 months it seems full of momentous events, both exciting and catastrophic.  I'm struggling a bit dealing with all of that in blog terms, first of all because the sheer volume of events really resists being summed up in 800 or so words -- but also because some of the individual events feel too big, too deep, too... personal.

One of the joys of this endeavor over the years has been creating little vignettes, glimpses into my life and the way I think, and trying to make it interesting or funny to someone besides just myself.  I appreciate also the cyberconnection I have with so many people who've been part of my life at different stages.  It makes for a kind of community that's frankly missing from my largely isolated work-from-home life.  I take particular pleasure in the fact that several of my Facebook friends that I interact with the most are people with whom I wasn't all that close IRL

I'm also aware, however, of a fundamental shortcoming -- whether in me or just built into Social Media World: when I'm going through Real Stuff, such as I have been lately, it's better worked through with Real People, and not where "just anyone" can see..And while I've been pretty successful in building a Friends list, I've been way less successful in building actual Friend-ships.

Even in the midst of such reflection, I still find it a bit ironic; I just wrote a blog about the limitations of blogging, in which the big revelation is that I'm fundamentally unable to reveal myself.


2 comments:

  1. Well said. As someone who has recently started a blog (so risk-averse that I have to REALLY wait until it's beyond passe) I'm already feeling the pressure to write on days when I don't have anything fresh or exciting to say. I've enjoyed reading your blog from time to time and will probably go back and read some of the previous entries again. I'm glad we were friends before FB and blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. As someone who has recently started a blog (so risk-averse that I have to REALLY wait until it's beyond passe) I'm already feeling the pressure to write on days when I don't have anything fresh or exciting to say. I've enjoyed reading your blog from time to time and will probably go back and read some of the previous entries again. I'm glad we were friends before FB and blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete