Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Talk: Not So Cheap After All

It pains me deeply that I haven't posted in a couple of weeks... but I'm actually somewhat comforted to think that anyone who might read me regularly is probably just finishing the last mega-post anyway. The truth is, the hiatus was kind of unavoidable; the epic 3-part Orlando entry used up all my words and I had to wait for the new shipment to come in.

Unfortunately, I suspect someone screwed up the order -- it seems to be all words like "malfeasance" and "egregious", so it might have been intended for one of those political bloggers. At least it's clearly a blog-related batch: many of the words are misspelled and all the plural words seem to have sprouted apostrophes.

Anyway, even in my absence I have been thinking bloggy thoughts, and by a coincidence one of the major topics of discussion in the world as a whole was, in fact, words. How they can be used, who can use them, and what the consequences might be for using them.

Of course, I refer to the incident in which a certain radio Personality decided to use some, shall we say, "racially loaded" language, causing a prolonged bout of Analysis by all concerned, as well as a lot of people that really had nothing to do with it. I mentioned in my Orlando saga that I was at least blessed with 4 ESPNs in the hotel; what I didn't mention was that in thumbing through those channels, and the adjacent news channels, I was greeted by the face of the aforementioned Personality at seemingly every turn. Well, either him or a certain rotund (and orotund) fellow -- whom I also decline to name -- who I believe has been designated by the UN as Special Representative for Minorities and Oppressed Persons Everywhere. How else to explain why he turns up on my TV whenever Injustice is afoot?

OK, I'm being a bit arch just because I enjoy it, so let me be clear: what the Personality said was stupid and offensive and wrong (in perhaps more senses than one -- they look like any other basketball team to me), and he deserved to be punished. The furor, however, really stems from more than just the act itself.

First, this was an excellent opportunity for white America to leap up as one and proclaim, "We're not racists, oh no, not us." It's not like anyone is seriously going to try to defend the guy, so it's an absolute free shot for everyone who can claw their way in front of a microphone.

Second, since it was a sports-related story, it provided a chance for the sports networks to assert their journalistic chops, to prove they're not just the Toy Department of the television universe. So we saw wall-to-wall coverage (at least for the whole time I was in that hotel room).

Third, he was really living in the wrong time; this is an era where one of the most prized virtues is Political Correctness, so any comment that's stupid and cruel and offensive is always going to be raised to the level of a felony.

Interestingly, as a white middle class male -- not the "majority", exactly, but fairly privileged at least -- I have found that it's "my kind" that is the last acceptable target for ridicule. Last year Hefty advertised their One-Zip bags as being so simple, even a husband could use them. I actually sent them a protest e-mail; I said, I get the joke but I notice you don't advertise them as simple enough for Polacks or blondes. They did respond promptly, but basically said lighten up, it's a joke.

But of course, we've all gotten used to the Bumbling Dad/Husband from TV sitcoms and commercials. And I suppose it won't kill me... it would just be nice if we all stopped trying to look good at the expense of others. It would be egregious malfeasance not to.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:17 AM

    It's a good thing the church is exempt from such things as political correctness, eh? While white middle class men are the last acceptable target in the public forum, we still get to wail on gays, pro-choicers, evolutionists, and peace activists. Hey, if we couldn't look good by putting down others, Dobson, Robertson and Falwell would all be out of jobs!

    ReplyDelete