Friday, April 07, 2006

Acme Moving Company

It's a little unsettling for me to realize that every experience of my childhood was harmful to me in some way. After all, I would often play out in the sun all day without a biohazard suit; I really believed that chips were one of the four basic food groups (not your fault, mom, I promise); and perhaps worst of all I watched not only the Three Stooges but what used to be known as "Saturday morning cartoons". As everyone knows, the violence in the classic Warner Bros. cartoons poisons growing brains, which explains why I turned out to be the rage-filled menace to society that I am today.

I think all right-thinking Americans recognize that the king of the traditional cartoon universe is Bugs Bunny. Really, except for the vegetarian diet, I'd like to be Bugs Bunny. Always in control, always smooth, always the perfect comeback. (By the way, can someone explain to me what the deal is with Mickey Mouse? He's clearly the head honcho in the Disney world, but I just don't get the appeal; I can't even understand what he says.

Also, he's a mouse... and he has a dog.)

These days, however, I'm feeling more like Wile E. Coyote. It's not (I hope) because he has the biggest ego of all of them -- sure, Daffy's arrogant, but even he never claimed to be a Super Genius. It's not because he's always hatching schemes that never come to fruition... and I'm proud to say that my nose is smaller.

The classic Wile E. moment in probably every episode is when something goes wrong. He stands quietly pondering, and a little voice in his head prompts him to look up. A boulder, or even the side of the cliff, is bearing down on him.... It's too late to run, nowhere to hide; all he can do is put up a tiny parasol in a vain attempt to cushion the blow.

In my case, I was kinda minding my own business, not even chasing any Road Runners, when I looked up and suddenly found out that in all likelihood, we will be moving next spring. Kind of an occupational hazard for a minister's family, of course. But the size of the rock is exacerbated by the fact that this area is our home in a lot of ways. And the fact that I am not a Change Enthusiast.

But you know, it's not just an approaching rock; it's a test of whether I'm willing to live the faith I talk (and write) about. Can I put my own fears aside, and can I trust that God is truly going to provide? Can I claim for myself the promise that all things work together for good?

The parasol's not going to cut it this time -- all I can do is find a bigger Rock to hide behind.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:02 PM

    Change is never an easy task to concur, but neither is fully relying and trusting in God. However, I would rather stake my claim in the latter. Keep your chin up and enjoy the blessings that you have been given. Nothing is set in stone by humans; it’s all up to a bigger plan. However, the only directions are thousands of years old (the Bible) or found amidst a spiritual battle cloaked with fog (not the greatest navigating conditions). No wonder I feel lost and afraid whenever I try and lead my own way through the battle field! What I need to do is keep my eyes shut and trust in God for every step. I will miss you and your family terribly if you have to move, but I am sure God has a bigger plan and will walk you through the necessary processes. You know the rock on which you stand is the only one to weather the storms, and when everything seems to have fallen away you will be held by the biggest arms in existence.

    ReplyDelete