Thursday, March 02, 2006

Two More Blocks, One More Board

I mentioned in Part I that I'm a sucker for books with a decade in the title. You know, like The Forties: There Was This Big War, or The '60s -- Everyone Was Stoned All the Time. I like to read about what the time was like. It's fascinating to think about how life has changed; I'll be writing about that some time soon. One of the best of the breed of book is William Manchester's The Glory and the Dream, which actually covers FOUR decades, 1932-1972.

Probably the best baseball books I’ve read are Bill James’ series of Baseball Abstracts from the 1980’s. Bill James was a pioneer in using baseball statistics to understand how baseball works, and like the vast majority of my favorites has more than a bit of ... well, smart-aleck in him. I would be hard-pressed to recommend them at this point unless you have an appreciation for Enos Cabell jokes, but at the time they were a hand grenade rolled into the center of the traditional “Joe Blow gives 110% and loves kids” school of baseball “journalism”.

This last one isn’t actually a book, but I wanted to point it out just to illustrate, perhaps once and for all, just how frustrating it can be to be me. Roger Angell wrote baseball columns for many years for the New Yorker. He has published several collections of those pieces, which are worth reading for anyone who enjoys graceful writing and has an appreciation for baseball from the ‘60s on.

He also has a book called A Day in the Life of Roger Angell, which collects a number of his non-baseball pieces, and one extreme oddity: it’s a summary of the 1961 World Series… written in the style of Greek tragedy. It’s very funny, but almost infuriating, because I’ve never found anyone to share it with. If you make a circle for all the people who follow baseball closely, a circle for all those who remember 1961, and a circle for those familiar with the structures of Greek tragedy, I have to think the intersection of those three circles is virtually microscopic (Note: I don’t “remember” 1961 in the literal sense, but I can tell you without looking it up who played in the Series – and most of the Series in history – and how it ended).

Standing in that intersection doesn’t make me a genius, or superior, but it does make me a minority verging on a mutant. I feel a little like the guy trying to tell jokes in Latin or Sanskrit or something. Say, what about that wacky Warren G. Harding, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment