Saturday, February 25, 2006

Metablog: Hurling the cat out of the bag

I considered several titles for this entry, like “Outing Myself” or “An Advertisement for Myself”, but in any case the sense is, I’ve gone public.

There’s an old joke about a little girl who gets perfume and a watch for Christmas and goes around showing off her gifts all the time. Finally her parents tell her to stop pestering people. Soon company comes to the house and she’s like a cat on a griddle but she can’t say anything. At last she bursts out: “I’m not supposed to say anything, but if anybody hears anything or smells anything, it’s me!”

That’s been me the past few weeks; everything someone says leads me to note, “Hey, that reminds me of something I wrote in my blog!” Some of them are even people speaking to me at the time, although I’ll squeeze into someone else’s conversation if necessary to make my “offhand observation”. The funny, or sad, thing is that almost no one bites. Nobody says, “Gee, what a keen idea! Can I read it immediately?”

So after a couple of months of writing and posting my blog and getting absolutely no feedback at all, I couldn’t take it any more. I sent out a message to basically everyone in my address book, essentially begging them to read it. I’m pleased to say I’ve already gotten a half-dozen or so responses, and while none of them were sobbing uncontrollably & saying I’d changed their lives, it was nice to know someone besides me actually read something.

I've been checking in every couple of days, watching as my hit counter climbed all the way into the mid-teens. Unfortunately, I believe most of those were me, checking to see if my hit counter had gone up yet. And I have garnered a total of one (1) comment, by some random stranger impressed that I mentioned the Waitresses in my Christmas music piece.

When I checked tonight … hit counter 42. They can’t all be me, right? Of course, it’s a double-edged sword; if someone’s looking, now I have to make sure I’m doing interesting, good-quality stuff. I'm trying to take it as encouragement to do better, not pressure to be perfect – but it’s tempting to end up in that same mindset I wrote about in “Going Cold Turkey”. Go read that, it’s pretty good :-).

I am one of the four people across the land who don’t watch American Idol, but I know how it works. The first several shows of each season feature the most self-deluded and talentless candidates, to the point that viewers end up asking, “What was THIS bozo thinking about trying to be a singer?”

Now I think in recent seasons, it’s probably driven by cynical motives as often as not: if I’m bad enough, I’ll make it on TV. But surely for many it’s not all that different from my e-mail. I’m doing something here in the privacy of my own room that I like & I think is pretty good, but I can’t be sure how good in “absolute” terms till someone outside my own head evaluates it.

If you do choose to respond, however, I'd like it if you'd err on the side of Paula and not Simon.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:31 PM

    It's been interesting catching up on your recent and former blogs. Can't help wondering when you find the time to put your thoughts on paper. Your writing style certainly has improved from the 6th grade when you couldn't think of a thing to write about in the composition assigned to you. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete